Re: [Amps] AL-811: Tuning, Setting ALC, Operating

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-811: Tuning, Setting ALC, Operating
From: "Martin J. Morgenbesser" <W7MJM@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:47:42 -0800
Regarding my previous post in which I concluded that, according to the specs in the Icom manual, the IC-718 doesn't need an amplifier keying interface for the AL-811:

If one reads the specifications in the IC-718 manual, one would conclude that the IC-718 does not need an external interface to handle the AL-811's 12 volt DC at 100 ma keying line. Well hold the phone. I just received email from an Icom technician who said that if I didn't use an interface, it would damage the IC-718's send relay and that such damage would not be covered under the Icom warranty.

When I asked how such damage could occur, given the specs in the manual, the Icom technician told me that the specs as printed in the manual are misleading and that the IC-718 send relay can only handle "16 volts OR 2 amps, not both."

Huh? That doesn't make any sense to me. None-the-less, given Icoms's attitude about whose fault it would be if the IC-718's send relay got fried, I decided to invest in the relatively inexpensive insurance of an ARB-704.

Thought you'd all like to know.