Re: [Amps] 10 DB increase

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10 DB increase
From: Ian White G3SEK <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 09:50:36 +0000
R. Measures wrote:
So why did a 20db amplifier deliver 23db during certain conditions and 20db at other times?

Why assume something to be true that violates known physical laws?

I assumed not, I measured. This was what trusted friends had been occasionally reporting for months. I was only able to confirm what they occasionally measured after I sold the amplifier.

The scientific assumption should be that it is an anomaly, and effort should be made to prove IT true rather than use the single fact to cast doubt on known reality.

There were many measurements by others. I was one of the last measurers.

Can you seriously believe that the ionosphere is non-linear, to the extent of 3dB in 20dB?

Not picking on Rich in particular, but it amazes me how many hams lack the ability to look at their own measurements and to say to themselves, "Aw, come on, that can't possibly be right..."

This lesson was hammered into me from age 11, in countless lab experiments to "verify" Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Law, Boyle's Law, Charles' Law, the Law of Mass Action - or whatever:

"If your results don't agree with Messrs Ohm, Kirchhoff, Boyle et al, then you can safely assume that the problem is all yours. Now go away and do it again, sonny."

With my lousy lab technique, it didn't take long to build up a healthy respect for those Old Dead Guys, and for the solid interlocking framework of "natural laws" that they discovered... and a healthy caution about my own measurements.