Re: [Amps] Cooling requirements GS35B

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Cooling requirements GS35B
From: Tony King - W4ZT <amps@w4zt.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:15:52 -0500
Hi Robert,

The air flow of 90 cfm is published but I haven't seen any reference to back pressure in any documents anywhere. Back pressure depends on the capacity of your blower and if you achieve the 90 cfm, the back pressure shouldn't matter except maybe to your blower. More air is better to the point it blows the tube out! It's been suggested before to use a large plastic garbage bag drawn tightly over the top of the tube to do a rough estimate of the airflow from your blower through your tube. Roughly estimate the volume of the bag and then measure the time to fill it. If you can measure (roughly) 90 cfm or more through the tube, then you're getting the rated cooling. You can measure back pressure with a plastic tube and a column of water if it is important to you.

I'd like to add that the BOTTOM of the GS-35B including the grid ring will get VERY hot with nothing but filament voltage on the tube so it is very important to keep air flowing even with no anode voltage applied. In fact, it will get too hot to hold in your hand if you don't put significant air around the base. Be sure that your grid ring is firmly clamped to a metal plate (thicker is better) to help dissipate the heat. You've got about 38 watts from the filament plus the grid dissipation to deal with.

I've got a collection of GS-35B info on my web page: <http://amp.w4zt.com>

73, Tony W4ZT

Robert Thain wrote:
Hi I'm looking for the cooling requirements for a GS35B.
I understand that flow rate AND back pressure are
important and usually quoted. But I just cant find
this info.
If I understand correctly:
Flow rate equates to the volume of air needed
and back pressure equates to the force of the air
needed.
Thanks
Robert
G0HGW@yahoo.com