[Amps] 165V primary transformers.

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 165V primary transformers.
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:18:12 +0000
I came across a load of transformers the other day being scraped. I could have salvaged them, but decided against it.

All had secondary voltages between about 75kV and 200kV, but with primaries of 165V. These were huge things - one was 175kV at 300mA and was about 1m x 0.5m x 0.4m.

All were from x-ray sets in the UK, where the mains is 230 (nominal) although it was probably 240 at the age of this equipment.

Anyone know why the odd primary would be used? They were single phase, not 3-phase as you might expect at these sort of power levels.

Sorry I did not annouce them here, but I thought the risk of PCBs, the really lethal voltages, the fact they needed to be removed quickly, just too much hassle.

I guess at 120V input they were potentially useful for some TWT's or similar, but they needed to go very quickly. Had I found out a week earlier, rather than the day before they were being removed, I might have seen if anyone wanted them.

--
Dr. David Kirkby, G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/ of if you live in Essex http://www.southminster-branch-line.org.uk/