Re: [Amps] Compact Coil Concept

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Compact Coil Concept
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:44:40 GMT
Hi everyone,
  Thanks for the comments on my coil idea.

  No one mentioned in either public or private communication that it has been
tried...so, I guess it is up to me.  :-)

  I'm not particularly worried about breakdown between the windings.  There
should only be about 1000 volts between the worst case turns.

  To elaborate just a smidge, here is a side view of the concept
    ... if it survives text "graphicizing"

--- Just about to scale on a 19" monitor set at 1024 wide ---

|<--------------------- 6" ---------------------->|

     10M   20M       40M               80M
      |     |         |                 |

        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
                                          2 0 0 0 1
0  0  0                                   2 0 0 0 0 -- 160 M

0  0  0                                   0 0 0 0 0
                                          0 0 0 0 0
        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

  The winding transitions between layers at the 1's & 2's

  Input is at the left and band taps are spaced as shown (more or less).

Just for the history file, some other approaches I considered were:

  A pair of spirals mounted in the same position as the concentric portion.
The center parts of these really don't contribute much and winding them would
be more difficult.

  A Powdered Iron toroid core coil.  At legal limit power this is physically
just as large as the concentric portion & costs a bit more.

  Mechanically inserting enough core material to increase the effective mu of
the 10-80 meter portion to 2.  Too "mechanical", & requires too much space to
park the core.

73 & Good evening,
  Marv WC6W

*