Re: [Amps] slug tuned variable inductors

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] slug tuned variable inductors
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:24:09 -0500
It's possible but it would be one heck of a big slug. The material type
and the cross sectional area of the core, which is governed by the power,
is what you have to follow. One can figure this area by using the satndard
formulas for calculating the area with maximum flux density, frequency,
and power throughput. The max. flux density is really low in ferrite thus
a big (huge) core is required. There are also powdered iron cores that can
be used here with similar formulas. Most ferrite and powdered iron
manufacturers have these formulas in their catalogs or on their websites.
There are some silicon steel tape wound cores claimed to work into the HF
band but I'm not experienced with any. I read about this for one type of
Hipersil or Silectron material that used tape as thing a 1 mil. One ruff
idea on the size, in small mobile amps, the output transformer has a total
core length of about 3 inches at least made of 1/2" O.D., by 1/4" I.D.
toroids, 1-1/2 length to a side for roughly 100 watts output. Take this
size and multiply it by 10 or 15 to handle 1000 to 1500 watts.

Will