Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Re: which one?

To: "'Harold B. Mandel'" <ka1xo@juno.com>, w4vd@prowebonline.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] [BULK] - Re: which one?
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:04:23 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Harold B. Mandel [mailto:ka1xo@juno.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:43 PM
To: w4vd@prowebonline.com
Cc: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [BULK] - Re: [Amps] which one?

Q:
> If you had a choice of a Henry 2KD-5 with fairly new tubes, or a
> SB220 with the originals but still full output, both exact same
> (fair) price, which would be the better of the 2?

What tube cooling system does the 'KD use
versus the Heath cooling system??????

::The 2KD-5 cooling is using a centrifugal blower and bottom-up cooling,
with glass chimneys over the 3-500Zs.

::I'd rather have the 2KD-5.  It's probably slightly larger and a bit
heavier than the SB-220, so if bench space is a factor the 220 could be a
better choice; however the 2KD-5 provides higher Ep, which is a good thing,
and its input tuning networks (slug tuned coils) are very easily accessed
from outside the amplifier, unlike the SB-220 where you have to tear into
it.-WB2WIK/6