Re: [Amps] Any comments on the Ameritron solid state amp?

To: johnmb@nc.rr.com, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Any comments on the Ameritron solid state amp?
From: Charlie - AD5TH <ad5th@direcway.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:24:42 -0600
I was at Ameritron in Starkville,MS about a month ago for service on my
AL-80B. I live about an hour drive from there. I was shown around the plant
and handled many of the units. As I sat with the tech doing my amp there was
an ALS-600 there for production testing with the cover(s) removed. I checked
it over closely and as a former electronics technician I was pleased to see
the level of workmanship that was evident.  I considered this same amp
before I eventually bought the 80-B. While it is a "no tune" amp it is not a
"hands free" as manual band switching is needed. I was informed that
Ameritron is working on a "hands free" auto-tuning solid state amp and it
will be a 1KW model.  I was told this would be in retail within a couple
years.

73 / DX