Re: [Amps] Water cooled amp question

To: <craxd1@ezwv.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Water cooled amp question
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 10:32:24 -0500
Will writes:

> I know some samll rual stations down in Kentucky that do
> still sign off. I'm not sure about how large they are power
> wise though. What I am thinking for any that would need this
> heater, they could add a threaded boss on each tank (after
> cutting ot a round hole behind it). Then use standard water
> heater elements screwed into the boss. Just wire them up with
> a thermostat. Cut them back to where they just keep the water
> from freezing up.

One could certainly use one (or two) water heater elements in
the supply reservoir.  The primary problem location is the heat
exchanger ... it's large effective surface area and relatively
small, relatively thin walled copper pipes are the first place
the water will freeze.  Even with auxiliary heat, it is necessary
to run the pumps to keep the water moving through the heat
exchanger.

Fortunately, the smaller stations typically do not run power
levels that tax the capacity of the heat exchanger during the
summer (even with the 20% reduction in transfer capacity with
a 50/50 glycol water mix) so full-time use of propylene glycol
and water is an easy solution for them.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK