Re: [Amps] The proposed book and other matters

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] The proposed book and other matters
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 12:06:33 -0500
Clive,

Thanks, I'll sure do it. The formulas we use are always printed in texts
in metric measurement. I use inch but have converted everything. The book
would show them in metric but the conversion also. I have bought several
books (15-20 now) from present to years back (1919 I think) on transformers
and magnetics researching the topic. Read everyone of them, and that was a
chore in itself. It was supprising on how much some left out. In reality, there
was only 1-2 good ones out of the bunch. It's kind of like this was a craft
they wanted to keep everyone blind to for some reason. There's a lot of
mis-information on the net too. One website I'll mention called "Roll Your Own
Transformers", was way off when they were talking about sizing a core. They
didn't discuss any options in selecting the core material or the actual math
you had to use to get there, and the turns per volt. The way I took it, they
were guesstimating it. I'm not knocking them but saying I dont think the author
had access to the correct materials. You also have to watch in the real old
texts back in the 1900's-1930 that there was "aging" of the iron in
transformers which now no longer exsists due to the advances in steel and iron.
All the alloys weren't developed then either. The thing is, the really old
books told more formula wise than anything new like it was a lost art or s
 omething. The most they mentioned was the basic formula of NP = NS for the
turns ratio. They never said how to figure turns per volt and determine the
core size, just very basic elementary stuff. The one I'm wanting to do is a
tell-all type with examples. I actually started it last week but I've felt
under the weather from a fall I had here at home. I stove myself up pretty good
and am taking Percocets to live with it now. Maybe next week I can start on it
again. It will most likely be a while before it's done but I'll sure put you
down for a copy.

Best,

Will