Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?

To: wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net, david.kirkby@onetel.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird Element Calibration?
From: G3rzp@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:57:21 EST

wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net writes:

The  readings of power out on  bird wattmeter have been as accurate as can be
 obtained.

That is a matter of some contention!

Firstly, as someone said, it doesn't really matter that much as far as  we're
concerned. Secondly, 5% is 0.22 of a dB: especially at V/UHF, mismatch
errors and cable losses can eat all that up, so exactly what is meant by 5%
needs
considering. Plus the Bird is rated to 5% of full scale, so the real  accuracy
depends where on the meter scale the power happens to be sitting.

I suspect that ratios are fairly accurate, so if you measure 50 watts one
way and 40 watts the other, the actual SWR is fairly accurate (something I did
today to check the cables going up the tower, with the ends open) and you  can
get a fair intimation of the cable loss. But primary or even secondary
standard, it ain't!

One of these days, I might get me an HP power meter: I believe they are  more
accurate, as they work on a different principle. By the time you've put in
all the attenuation that needs, I suspect you won't end up with a much better
answer than the Bird.

73

Peter G3RZP