Re: [Amps] Bird 'H' series inserts: Performance on 160

To: "Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>,"Mark Hill" <g4fph@mjha.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird 'H' series inserts: Performance on 160
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:10:24 +0200
Made a similar test with the following Bird elements
and a test setup consisting of:

RF source adjustable to 50 and 100W output monitored on a freshly calibrated
HP410C RF voltmeter with
the T- junction and also connected via a Collins 302C-3 wattmeter to a Bird
250W dummy load.

Test frequency: 1600 kHz

Power level    50 W        Reading on 50H            45W

Power level    100 W        Reading on 100H        90W
Power level    100 W        Reading on 250H        85W
Power level    100 W        Reading on 500H #1    80W
Power level    100 W        Reading on 500H #2    80W

additionally a check of a 1000P (450 kHz to 2500 kHz) element was made

Power level    100 W        Reading on 1000P       85W

Comparison test:

Test frequency: 2000 kHz

Power level    50 W        Reading on 50H            47W

Power level    100 W        Reading on 100H        95W
Power level    100 W        Reading on 250H        85W
Power level    100 W        Reading on 500H #1    85W
Power level    100 W        Reading on 500H #2    80W

additionally a check of a 1000P (450 kHz to 2500 kHz) element was made

Power level    100 W        Reading on 1000P       80W  (!)

The readings are within the +/- 5% of full scale promised except on the 50H and
100H elements, where
they are about 10% low.

It appears that the lower frequency limit, as expected,  is less sharply
defined on the higher power elements.

The Collins wattmeter, incidentally, read 70 and 130 W respectively...

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM