[Amps] a common topic here tspa

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] a common topic here tspa
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:33:45 -0600
There are numerous commercial (HF frequency, ISM) 8877/3CX1500A7
amplifiers on this planel which don't have nor need VHF suppressors
around the tube. I have one from RF Power (Plasma) Products which I
converted to 5 MHz from 13.6 MHz a couple of years ago (got advice
and a schematic from folks on this forum). It is very stable, into
horrible VSWRs, even sweeping the input drive frequency around while
testing large ferrite cores under high power. However, maybe the
correct wording is the only "Ham" HF amplifiers? Because of the need
to operate multiband, with some sort of shunt feed RF choke, it is
possible that they require more stringent controls on parasites.
Fixed frequency ISM power unit manufacturers don't seem concerned
either.

John
K5PRO