Re: [Amps] Refurbishing a Henry 3K Classic II

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Refurbishing a Henry 3K Classic II
From: Theo Bellamy <Theo.Bellamy@Spirittelecom.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:28:34 -0400
Thanks to all who replied, both on the list and off! Lots of great comments
and suggestions.

I removed the RF deck and blower last night and did a detailed visual
inspection. No rust or corrosion anywhere. Just dust which dislodges easily
with a small brush so it should clean up very nicely.

We (my girlfriend and I) eyeballed every component and connection and found
... thanks to her sharp eyesight ... two bad parts. The 25 ohm/25 watt
wirewound resistor in the B- line is opened. You can see where the coating
has flaked away and the little wires are open. And two of the 75 pf fixed
caps that get switched in for the plate tuning in the tank circuit had
flashed over. The 40 meter cap and one of the 80 meter caps. Someone must
have tried to run it into a bad load. The are both cracked and burned with
chips missing from them.

I suppose the resistor may have taken one for the team when the caps blew
chunks ... I just hope the plate current meter didn't get damaged. I can't
see anything wrong inside it, but I guess I will find out in time.

If I can get the replacement parts pretty quick I should be to the tube
cooking stage in a few days and may have it on the air soon.

Thanks again!

73,
Theo K4MO