Re: [Amps] article in Nature, modified Aurora via HF tspa

To: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] article in Nature, modified Aurora via HF tspa
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:16:36 +0100
Joe Isabella wrote:
> While I have yet to measure it with an accurate tool, I have yet to see a
> 10dB increase in power give only a 10dB increase at the receiver.  It seems
> that whatever the increase is, the received signal level is always hotter.
> I've always dismissed it for crappy S-meter linearity, but who knows...
>
> Joe, N3JI

But if you rely on S-meter calibration, you can't draw any valid
conclusions. PERIOD.

Rich has given a more detailed analysis, based on the use of calibrated
attenuators. I still feel he is wrong, and doubt that amateur rigs are
causing non-linear changes in path loss, but that paper does give *some*
weight to his arguments, and means I will not dismiss them quite as
easily as I have done in the past.

Note they were using 960kW, and an ERP of 95MW, but were causing changes
in the Aurora that could be seen with the Naked eye.

Unlike some, if I'm wrong I will admit it. In this case I am not
admitting I am wrong, but just that there is now the smallest of doubts
in my mind, whereas previously I have dismissed his comments as rubbish.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/