[Amps] Turret terminal construction

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Turret terminal construction
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:52:28 -0400
Does anyone on here still use turret terminal construction any? Most will buy
tie strips because of cost, this I know, but turret terminal construction is
about the neatest type I know. If so, I was thinking about stocking the
supplies to do this with if any would be interested. They make two different
types of affordable punch/die assemblies. One just uses a hand punch and a
small anvil. The other sets up in a drill press where you use the presses quill
as a punch, and the anvil goes on the table. I have the one that is used by
hand and it's easy to use. I have built several projects this way and it is the
neatest wiring I've done. Gonset used to do this in their amps, and a few
others.

For those not familiar with them, a turret terminal looks like a small turret
made of brass and plated. They're about 3/16" in diameter with a head similar
to a nail and a ring below that. Some are hollow all the way through. The
bottom, which fits through a hole in a piece of insulation board, is
countersinked. You place the terminal in the hole, turn it upside down, place
the terminal on the anvil, then use the punch to spread the bottom of the
terminal out holding it in place. They make pre-made boards this way also, but
are higher than terminal strips.

If any might be interested in these, let me know.

Best,

Will