Re: [Amps] Bleeder Resistor Inquiry

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bleeder Resistor Inquiry
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:57:11 -0400
Mike,

The resistors model number shows a 225-watt core, 4595 volts. Joe showed that
the watt rating was too small as the voltage and current you have will multiply
to more than 225, or 314 watts. You'll notcie too that the voltage has been
exceeded on this resistor as you should have 5600 Vdc open plate voltage at 56
mA, and maybe average 4950 Vdc under load. Both together would really heat that
up if not blow it. What you might look at doing is use two 50K resistors of
this size in series so as to divide the voltage and current up across two. You
would effectively double the rating this way and have the same value in ohms
for the discharge time of 4 seconds.

Saftey here is important as NEVER bet on those resistors to discharge those
caps. I made a dischargeer here that has a big power resistor in it (actually
5, 100 watts in paralell). Plus, a switch will cause a relay to short out the
bank. On the B+ side is a voltmeter with it's own ground to show if the bank is
discharged. What I do is first place the probe on the B+ line and wait a couple
of seconds. Then, I hit the pushbutton which shorts the rest to ground.
Sometimes, you have to do this 2-3 times to get rid of any residual charge. You
could just short them too but I swear I hate that big bang everytime on top of
being hard on the components. The thing I made gets you buy with this and those
caps are safely discharged before service.

In you case, I'd get two 50k-225 watt resistors and series them, or two 200K
and paralell them.

Best,

Will