Re: [Amps] (amps)Shorting Sticks

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] (amps)Shorting Sticks
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:40:41 -0400
If you gentlemen remember a few months back, when a-building the
4,200 volt, 3-ampere CCS Anode Supply, how one bleeder resistor
became defective, changed from 100K-ohms to 52 ohms, and how another
bleeder resistor in series with that one opened up, and even though the
supply
was left off and disconnected for 30 minutes, how I was knocked on my ass
when approximately 750 volts jumped from the + beehive to my arm.

It was my fault. I failed to VERIFY the absence of potential. I'm lucky
the situation wasn't at work where power plant voltages are somewhat
higher.

As I lay on the carpet I gave myself a "6" in the electrocution rating:

"Scared witless"
"Knocked on ass"
"Embarassed"

(Still breathing, no CPR necessary, no wetting of pants in front of
co-workers,
 no ambulance ride or hospital bill, no funeral for my loved ones to
attend)

1. Turn the power off.
2. Pull the a.c. breaker, fuse or disconnect or plug.
3. Wait a few minutes.
4. Use a voltmeter to see if the metal part is energized.
5. Hang the shorting stick on the + terminal of the power supply.

Respectfully,
Hal Mandel
W4HBM