[Amps] HP woes and an idea ...

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] HP woes and an idea ...
From: John Darwin Powers <jdp3@cornell.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:17:35 -0400
The issue with Agilent and the BAMA site have been happily resolved.
Many thanks to Mr. Simon and Mr. Gallagher of Agilent for their
favorable decision.  I'm sure that there are several unnamed people who
contributed in a positive way, and helped Agilent understand the
importance of the HP heritage as something that is not only in the
past, but continues on today with a vibrant existence.  It was
interesting to see how many people referenced the educational value of
the documentation, and like myself, have enriched their knowledge of
electronics by studying the manuals and HP's technique(s) of design.
In my mind, the three most important reasons to have open access to the
material is education, personal science, and amateur radio.  Other
people may have different opinions, including those that argue for
customer loyalty ... once HP always HP(Agilent).  Curse Carley for the
last.  Most of you may be familiar with the Collins Collector
Association.  A site that is (I believe) "blessed" by Collins, and
presents their old technology in a very organized and professional
manner.  Would it not be beneficial to HP/Agilent to maybe ask the HP
foundation to fund an organization to preserve the heritage of Bill and
Dave by supporting a site like Collins?  Not only to remember the
people, but also the equipment the the people made famous?  The way
things appear to be going, in lets say fifty years, how much of the
real HP will people remember?  Anyway, it's just a crazy idea.

Also, maybe this question is not appropriate for this site, but I have
a question that can only be answered with an opinion.  Was the breakup
of HP really necessary, and has it helped or hindered HP and Agilent?

Thank you.

John