Re: [Amps] Vector Voltmeter

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Vector Voltmeter
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 22:11:40 +0100
Dave Haupt wrote:
> A vector voltmeter is what I used to make my first
> complex Z measurements at home.  I was doing a
> consulting job, so I could purchase a pair of
> mini-circuits connectorized directional couplers and
> deduct the cost.  But, one could built a resistive
> return loss bridge, using only one twisted-pair balun
> to deal with the "ungrounded leg" issue.
>
> Send the signal through the two dir. couplers, with
> one configured to create a "forward" sample, and the
> other configured to provide a "reverse" sample.
> "Forward" goes to Vector Voltmeter channel A,
> "reverse" goes to channel B.  With an open circuit,
> adjust the phase offset knob on the VVM to show zero
> degrees.  If you need an amplitude correction, you can
> put an attenuator in the line from whichever coupler
> sampled port you need to get an amplitude of 1.  Now
> connect the unknown.  The amplitude and phase reading
> of the VVM represent the magnitude and phase of the
> reflection coefficient.  Plot this point on a Smith
> Chart and read the complex impedance from there.
>
> I still have the instrument, but along with the rest
> of my lab, it's packed away in some unknown storage
> place, awaiting the day that I finally select a house.
>
> 73,
>
> Dave W8NF

Although your method assumes the couplers are perfect, which is not so.
They will not have infinite directivity. A lot of the sophistication of
modern vector network analysers is in the removing these less
significant effects. I expect a review of some Agilent/HP application
notes would allow you to improve on it, using open, short and 50 Ohm loads.

Ian, G3SEK mentioned a system based on a card that fits in a PC that is
very good too.

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB