Re: [Amps] TRANSFORMER-TEST-webpage

To: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TRANSFORMER-TEST-webpage
From: "kenw2dtc" <kenw2dtc@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:53:03 -0400
Hal said:

"The one feature I see on your iron is that the windings are not potted.
This means the unit, as it heats and cools, absorbs moisture from the air
around it, said moisture settling in the paper laminations and in the
wiring.  To forestall disaster, I myself pot HV stuff, especially
transformers, chokes and coils.  I found that the best stuff isn't too
expensive: Dolph's Synthite AC-41.  It's about 25 dollars a gallon and is
made for HV insulation potting, and has the consistency of plain old
varnish, but with much better breakdown characteristics"

Sounds good Hal.  I can't lift this transformer so painting would be best.
I guess I would apply a gererous amount on the top and let it drain into the
windings and paint the bottom and sides.  You mentioned 10 layers.   Does
this mean you paint it, let it dry and paint it again etc., if so how long
is the drying period between applications?

73,
Ken W2DTC