Re: [Amps] Heath SB1000 problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Heath SB1000 problem
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 04:10:05 -0500
Roger,

Generally the layer insulation in between the HV and LV coils are pretty thick,
about X2 to X3 as thick as in layers of each coil. So, a coil to coil short is
kind of rare. The best way to check this is with both heater coil leads and
both HV leads disconnected. Then power up the transformer and see if either
reads to ground showing a coil to core short. Next check the two individual
voltages and check for a voltage showing up from one coil to the other. If
voltage does show from one coil to the other, it then would have a short
between the HV coil and the LV coil. Without looking at the schematic to see if
something in the circuit could cause a high voltage reading to ground off the
heater supply, the test above would be the only way I know to tell you, You
mentioned using a Highpot, which is a good idea if you could borrow one
somehwere. Jeff mentioned using a seperate heater supply trnasformer if there
was a short between the HV and LV winding which is a good idea as long
 as there's no short to the core from the coil. That is providing you have
enough room to mount it.

Best,

Will