Re: [Amps] sb220 zener diode problems

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] sb220 zener diode problems
From: "Will Matney" <craxd@engineer.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 17:16:01 -0500
Ian,

On receive, the cathode will have +120 Vdc applied to the cathodes
through the C.T. of the heater transformer. On transmit, the C.T. of
the heater transformer is connected to the 5.1 Vdc zener for bias
throgh the relay, then on trough a .82 ohm 2 watt resistor to ground
on the HV board. The plate voltage reading of the meter is
acomplished by sampling some voltage off of a resistor string to
ground on the HV board. This same ground point is also the ground
point for the HV board, the chassis ground, and ground for the zener
diode. By the arcing your mentioning, and the HV only showing up
under load on the meter, I'd look for a bad ground connection around
the zener and where the HV board goes to chassis ground since it's
all common at one point.

You mentioned the tubes heater pins coming un-soldered. This can be
fixed by cleaning all the old solder off and re-soldering it with
silver solder. This is a common problem with these amps because
there's not enough cool air hitting the heater pins.

Best,

Will