Re: [Amps] 811As

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 811As
From: Ian White GM3SEK <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:08:41 +0100
Steve Thompson wrote:
>I've just received a bunch of Marshall 811As (for a friend
>who wanted spares for his 30L1). The boxes have what appears
>to be a radioactive warning symbol on them. If that's really
>what it is, can anyone tell me why?

Thoriated tungsten filaments? Thorium is very mildly radioactive, but
individual tubes contain such tiny quantities that they should be exempt
from regulations in all countries.

This seems like some confusion on the manufacturer's side. At the
factory they probably handle enough thorium to require labeling and
controls; but end users do not.

--
73 from Ian G/GM3SEK