Re: [Amps] GU-84B Cooling

To: "Amps Reflector" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GU-84B Cooling
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:00:41 -0500
Just FYI about...

"Even though the tube is cheaper than some others, it's still expensive
if you have to re-tube all the time." (etc).

I'm not sure how often 'all the time' is, but I've been using my present
4CX1600B virtually everyday for the past four years, averaging six hours
per day, with two or three on/off cycles per day. I run it at 1500 watts
CW  hard duty rag chewing with rather long transmissions in AB2 using no
cut off bias during key-up (switching antenna with pin diodes QSK).
Blower runs high volume air flow from a remote location via a clothes
dryer hose, but no measurements have been made as to exhaust air temp.
or pressure. No effort was made to measure heater volts.

Let's see, that figures to about 8K hours so far, and the tube behaves
like when brand new. I paid $375 for a new spare, which is waiting in
its sealed carton.

73,  Roy      K6XK/0