Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 rebuild, some questions.

To: msole@loxinfo.co.th
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 rebuild, some questions.
From: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:12:37 -0400
Dear Martin,

The bucking winding serves to increase the speed of the fan motor when
the
power transformer is under load. Alpha used a variable resistor to reduce
the fan voltage as well in their '77 series. This was to quiet the blower
noise.

If you don't mind the noise, put the fans at maximum voltage and get the
most
airflow you can generate. The 50 volt bucking winding isn't necessary
with
that modification.

If you look up the tube specs and see the maximum envelope
temperature and airflow requirement you will notice that
the 95C figure is still okay, but having the maximum push all the
time means a faster recovery with your key up in RCV.

Hal Mandel
W4HBM