Re: [Amps] Transformer core shorted to secondary winding??

To: "Bill Smith" <ko4nrbs@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer core shorted to secondary winding??
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:14:42 +0200
A bleeder resistor should not be so hot that it smells or discolors.
1500V over 50000 ohms generates about 35 W, so an 100 W resistor has a
reasonable
safety margin.

A way to check if the full-wave circuit is symmetrical is to plug one known
good diode
alternately in the 866A sockets and leave the other empty. The no-load voltage
should be the same either way. If the voltage becomes lower, you have a problem
with one half of the secondary winding.

It is difficult to fully test an HV power supply without suitable DC dummy
loads,
if all else fails you could connect 12 100W light bulbs in series over the
output
of the rectifier (with due respect for the HV).

If you have a Variac, try to increase the input voltage slowly from zero with a
load
over the output and watch out for jumps in the output voltage and/or crackling
or hissing sounds.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM