Re: [Amps] 8877 Time Delay Query

To: <craxd1@verizon.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 8877 Time Delay Query
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:15:08 -0500
No, Alphas with 8877's all have 3-minute timers. They won't key up until the
time-out occurs. Others have already posted that the Eimac sheet on this
tube says nothing about delaying HV application. That is correct, for the
reasons already given.

Since my main interest is 160 meters, I chose a single-bander amp. dedicated
to that band, using the old indestructible 3CX3000A7. Brief band openings
occur often, with no warning, and last a few minutes, especially at
gray-line times. This set-up allows instant pouncing. I have worked a lot of
rare DX that had come and gone in 3 minutes. Switch back to off, and all the
blower noise and heat are gone until the amp. is needed again. I do have a
3-minute timer, but it is for the blower. It runs after the mains switch is
turned off. An 8-inch muffin fan is mounted on the lid of the RF deck for
use in the winter to heat the ham shack nicely!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

I imagine that Alpha figured if you bought one of their amps, you'd already
know to let a tube warm up? That kind of reminds me of an instruction manual
that came with a VCR I had bought. The very first page showed Superman
reading the manual and scratching his head. Anyhow, I always let any of them
warm up at least 3-5 minutes. A lot of people complain about warm up time
but to be honest, it don't take that long if you remember to fire up the amp
as soon as your in the shack, and not wait until you need it. Trading off a
little warm up time for life expectancy means a lot. And I'll still about
bet a tube will outlast solid state 2:1 in rough conditions.

Best,

Will