Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 31, Issue 60

To: wlfuqu00@uky.edu, craxd1@verizon.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 31, Issue 60
From: Dennis12Amplify@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:27:45 EDT

In a message dated 8/1/05 10:37:06 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
wlfuqu00@uky.edu writes:

OK, I have got to reply.

Most of the hams  that build amplifiers for 11 meter operators and
those that know little  about RF are illegal CBers that have taken the
relative easy exams and  gotten ham tickets and are operating their ham rigs
on CB and Ham  bands.

 Unfortunately,  those demons were out of the box LONG BEFORE incentive
licensing and no-code  licensing came along!

 The amateurs that  started this mess were already building and selling
illegal (non-type  accepted) sweep tube linears back in the 60's!

 Most of the  original culprits are dead now but they died  wealthy!

 I know because I am  old enough to have been around in those days and know
that a lot of them were  built in Illinois, and many were built right here in
the Joliet area.... The  other 'hotspots' were Scottsbluff Nebraska, Wawassee
and Elkhart Indiana,  Memphis Tennessee, and a number of places in New Jersey
and  California.

 Hams that make amplifiers for illegal CB use and those
that  use their ham gear out of band  are the most despicable in my  mind.

 I agree with you completely!

 I also feel the same way about hams complaining 'after  the fact' about a
monster that was created entirely by greedy ham operators  trying to sell their
old low band HF AM 'boat anchor' equipment for as much  money as they possibly
could just so they could get into VHF FM, and the  associated repeaters,
which was the wave of the future back then.
That HF AM equipment they were trying to sell was worthless to  other HAM
operators, but was priceless to a CB operator with deep pockets; so  guess who
the 'smart' hams sold all their old HF AM equipment, and their  linears, to???

 I blame the HAM  community for creating this monster by not self-policing
themselves like they  should have.

 It was their little  'secret' source of cash for quite a few years, and so
many amateur operators  were involved that it was like a bad habit that was
unofficially accepted and  condoned but rarely, if ever, spoken of on the
air....

  A license is an an agreement with the Government and Society  that you will
abide the law and these activities violate those laws.   If you do so,
giving up your license is the right thing to  do.

 You also agree to  provide emergency radio services for this country in a
National Emergency; and  I know of very few amateurs who could build a
transmitter or a receiver from  scratch if they had to, especially if tubes
were
involved....

I can, and I have, done  both.
Can  you?

 After the first  high altitude explosion and it's associated EMP, the
'appliance HAM operators'  will be totally out of service and sitting on their
hands
while those CB radio  operators who have refused to give up their ancient
tube rigs will still be on  the air!

 I believe that  there should be a licensing requirement for all HAM
operators to possess at  least one piece of EMP-PROOF communications gear in
good
working condition,  and that there would be at least one day a year, (a contest
maybe), where they  would all have to put them on the air and make sure they
were still in good  working condition and to validate their emergency
communication  networks.

 Regards,

Dennis  O.