Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 32, Issue 12: Metric system

To: "va3pl @ cuic.ca" <va3pl@cuic.ca>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 32, Issue 12: Metric system
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:30:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
> I was trying to build a 2M antenna out of the 2001 Handbook, the
> dimensions are in MM, but I could never get it done, I would cut the
> elements off to the correct MM length in the morning, but by afternoon
> and 100 degree heat, they were too many MM long, so I had to cut them
> again,next morning, I checked and they were too short so I had to throw
> them all away and start again. I think I will go crazy building the
> antenna, maybe I will just get a premade one and stop trying, hopefully
> the instructions will be in English.
> I wonder how far it really is the the North Pole?
> Thanks, George W5GRG

This problem of different measurements depending upon the temperature can be
solved, if making aluminum antennas, by using an aluminum ruler, which means
the antenna will always measure the same length.  Make sure the ruler is made
of the same alloy as the antenna element.

Remember, however, that the wavelength varies depending upon the density of the
medium.

This problem can mostly be solved with enough of the metric beer pints.

Colin  K7FM