Re: [Amps] Metric system

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Metric system
From: "Jerry Muller" <k0tv@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 22:18:01 -0400
Speaking of professors, my Thermodynamics professor (grad school) worked
exclusively in fps units (PSI, BTU/hr, Degrees Rankin). I thought this was
bogus so I turned in all my work in the metric system until I finally
decided to give him a required pressure in dynes/acre on one of the exams.
He actually checked to see if the answer was correct (it was). Once I asked
him why he used all those units and he replied that's how he learned it when
he was a student (MIT no less).

We've been friends ever since. I haven't seen him in a few years and I don't
know if he is still around (he was in his mid 70s then). The first thing we
do when we see each other is to start telling bad jokes to each other. He's
got the same warped sense of humor I have.

He was the guy who figured out why our early satellites were burning up in
orbit (or so he claims). One of his interns many years ago was John Sununu
(Tufts University Thermodynamics Professor, former White House Chief of
Staff, Governor of New Hampshire, and father of one of our Senators). We had
some interesting discussions about him.

73, Jerry K0TV