Re: [Amps] Wrong Business

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Wrong Business
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:08:25 -0400
Pete,

The problem is where most audiophiles dont have any electronics training. The
either play in a band or just like to listen to music. In amateur radio, most
all have a little knowledge of how the electron works. With the audiophiles,
about any snake oil salesman can sell them anything. I kept lookin through the
link posted earlier, or went back to http://www.soundstage.com and found
another amp that sold for $10,000 using two tubes! I think they were a set
though (making 4 tubes) and were round chassis like a clock. I swear I've not
seen nothing to beat it. There's another website though where the author does
try to debunk a lot of myths named Tales form the Tone Lounge (
http://www.tone-lizard.com/index.html  ). The author used to build guitar amps
himself. He tears into the ones saying one capacitor has "better tone" than
another, and that transformers made certain ways are better than others. I've
personally seen some transformers, maybe 250 VA ones sell for $300-$400 each
  or more!

Really, I'm looking at getting into test equipment repair, mainly with B&K
Precision on their older equipment. I wrote a letter off to them and I'm
supposed to call the owner today of BKManuals, Mr. Jon Doutt. I got an e-mail
back yesterday from them expressing interest and asking me to call. B&K dont
service any of the older equipment any more and Mr. Doutt bought out all the
old lines. If it works out, I'll have new B&K 747 tube testers for sale along
with the new B&K model 1040 tester originally made for CB servicing. It can
actually be used in amateur radio servicing too. The one good thing is it has a
two tone mic input through a small speaker to check modulation, etc.. I have an
old one here and used it a good bit. Hopefully, if everything works out, I'll
be doing servicing for them here, plus doing some transformer work for the
company which is the shot in the arm I needed. Those orders will allow me to
get the trnasformer business off the ground. I was upfront with th
 em about being handicapped and figured they might not do anything over it, but
I was surprised.

Anyhow, if you get a chance, do some reading over at
http://www.tone-lizard.com/index.html and you'll like it. They have a lot of
info on older test equipment too, with histories, and service data.

Best,

Will