Re: [Amps] Fraudulent email to amps posters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fraudulent email to amps posters
From: "David Lisney" <g0fvt@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:49:17 +0100
Hi, I have received some spams with address probably trawled from here, the
usual fake Ebay and Paypal correspondence with links to faked pages. Often
you can find that the servers are owned by legit companies but have been
hacked, in one case I had a look through the directory structure and found
it contained a list of phished email addresses.

In a twisted way I find them amusing as they usually begin "Dear G0FVT",
when they purport to be from a lady  who found me to be "hot-stuff" last
night, it makes me wonder how drunk I really was! Do I really only tell
girls my ham callsign? Should I pass them a QSL card if I have "worked"
them?

I have also (not recently) had a series of fake bounce messages making it
appear as though my machine was emailing people from my addresss book as
though it had a virus problem, many of the bounces were apparently from
amateur callsigns. I was naturally concerned that my machine was really
launching email traffic at addresses my machine itself may have trawled from
this listing. On looking more carefully at the "bounce messages" they all
originated from a single IP address in California, NOT from numerous
victims.

This is another clever grooming exercise, the victim receives a number of
emails saying that their mail has been blocked since it contains a virus,
then when they begin to suspect they really have one a helpful email arrives
saying similar but has an attachment that you are supposed to open to read
how to fix it.

Needless to say the attachment is NOT a text file!

As a previous poster mentioned it is a good idea to forward faked Paypal and
Ebay mails to Spoof@paypal.com or Spoof@ebay.com often the pirated sites
will then vanish in a short time.

Should spend some time getting my GS-35Bs on the air and less time surfing..
73s de David