Re: [Amps] 2nd grid resistor blow Ameritron AMP 811H

To: dpipes@earthlink.net, Dave Meitzen <dmeitzen@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 2nd grid resistor blow Ameritron AMP 811H
From: Don Nesbitt <nesbittdr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:38:38 -0700 (PDT)
Interesting.  Just so you know that you are not alone
- I had exactly the same problem (exact same tube
position and the exact same failure!) with an AL-811H
that I had some time ago - and - it happened 3 times,
twice after replacing the "older style" parasitic
supressors with the "new style." New style has circuit
mounted on a PC board while the "old style" (read that
to mean the original run of 811H amps) had the
resistors simply coming off the top of the rf choke
with the inductiors wound around them - very
traditional setup.

Frankly, something in my gut tells me that it has
something to do with the "neutralization" circuit that
is used in that amp.  I know that a couple of
manufactures tried the neutralization route in grouded
grid 811 amps in the distant past and abandoned them.
Just a hunch - but then again, maybe the supressor is
just not low q enough - never the less, it's very
strange that it should be in that particular tube
placement position 3 out of 3 times for me and for you
as well. New tubes with higher gain seemed to make it
worse and I went back to some with nominal gain.

As an experiment, I took out (completely removed the
toroid, coupling cap and aluminum plate, etc) that
neutralization circuit in the 811H and it performed
extremely well (even easier to drive and delivered
more power on the higher bands) with no gasps, burps,
etc!  Tuning was very docile.  In fact, if my memory
serves me, the AL-811 (3 tube model) does not use it
and is quite docile as well.

Sorry I can't suggest the exact reason or a sure fire
fix.  GL es 73 -- Don N4HH