RE: [Amps] 4CX1500 à la YU1AW lazy builder ?

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] 4CX1500 à la YU1AW lazy builder ?
From: "G0RUZ Conrad" <conrad@g0ruz.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:19:16 +0100
The YU1AW 'lazy builder' amplifiers are a bad idea at those sorts of power
levels in my opinion. They will be inefficient and the use of HF style
blocking caps for 2m amplifiers is a bad idea. Also the output spectrum is
so rich in harmonics that you will need a good low pass filter.

The easiest (and cheapest) way of getting 1.5 KW on 2m is to use a GS35B in
a 1/2 wl coax line type arrangement. There is no blocking cap to fail,
losses are very low, efficiency good and they always work first time.

See http://www.nd2x.net/PA3CSG-2.html for details. Of course a 4CX1500 could
be substituted, in this case ground the screen for the best stability. There
was a design for the 4CX1000 on 2m in the ARRL handbook which explains how
to do this. The GS35B is so cheap and reliable in this design that I would
use it!

73

Conrad G0RUZ