Re: [Amps] Homebrew 4-1000 problems

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Homebrew 4-1000 problems
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:31:01 -0400
Richard,

See below;

On 8/26/05 at 7:54 AM Richard Sisson wrote:

>New to the list and need help. First I will list the problem(s) and list
>what I have in the amp. This is my first and last homebrew project so I am
>not an expert with the math.
>1. main problem is a blue glow at the bottom of the tube  ONLY when keyed,
>drive or no drive.

Probably nothing wrong as some glass will show that glow. If the glow is seen
in the innards of the tube, it's a gassy tube. If the glow is in the glass,
it's not bad.

>2. 7.2 MHZ tune up the plate choke gets hot, burning wire
>smell.....measures about 84-87 uh.

Sounds like a self resonance, or the choke doesn't have enough inductance at
the frequency its at, or the choke isn't big enough for the current through it.
If this happens on all bands, I'd say the wire isn't big enough for the current.

>3. blue glow in tube on any band. when keyed.

I doubt it's bad especially if the power out is correct.