Re: [Amps] Bias or Plate voltage change

To: GGLL <nagato@arnet.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bias or Plate voltage change
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:12:31 -0400
The lower plate voltage was used for CW on amps that were made when the
old rules only allowed 1kw DC input power. Now that the rules allow 1500
watts output power there is no need to lower the plate voltage (unless
you just want to run lower power) as the amp is now tuned the same for
CW as it is for SSB. Same power levels.

As far as the changes in bias, 7.5 volts for SSB and 27 volts for CW,
the 7.5 volts allows for higher zero signal plate current that is
necessary for the amp to remain linear for SSB. For CW the 27 volts will
probably completely cut off the zero signal plate current. This saves on
plate dissipation. The tube does not need to be linear for CW so this
works out fine.

73
Gary  K4FMX