Re: [Amps] more sb220 questions

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] more sb220 questions
From: "Will Matney" <craxd1@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:46:53 -0400
John,

There's several thing that could cause no power output from the amp. That zener
diode being one which I'd check first. It sets the tubes bias on transmit. No
heater voltage. No high voltage would also do it, but I assume you checked
that. You could still show plate voltage on the meter in the amp and not have
it on the tubes because of an open plate choke. Another thing to cause it would
be a bad relay. The amp supposed to use a 3PDT relay with 10 amp contacts and
was an open frame type. You can use an enclosed one here also. Bad tubes would
be the last.

I'd check the bias voltages first. On receive you should have around +120 Vdc
on the C.T. of the heater transformer. On transmit it should be around 7 volts
(zener voltage). The antenna relay switches this voltage through the 3rd
contact. Next, check the plate choke for continuity.

Best,

Will