[Amps] why not graphite anodes?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] why not graphite anodes?
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:05:57 -0600
>Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:17:44 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z and ZG triodes
>Hi John,
>Is there some reason you don't want the graphites?  I have found
>them extremely rugged -- the Eimacs I had literally fell apart.
>I've been abusing mine (RF Parts Brand -- Taylors, I believe) in my
>Henry 3K-A fairly regularly over approximately 3 years now, and they
>simply keep on making power.  I've had them very bright orange on
>nice loooonngggg AM round-tables, been through a few contests, and I
>would definitely buy them again.  They will still do about 2kW
>output easily.
>
>Joe, N3JI

Yes, I am trying to retrofit a pulse modulator here at work, that
used 3-400Zs and I would like to switch to 500Zs without too many
changes (i.e., going to graphite). If thats all that I can get, I
will try them. We are buying a couple of types (Chinese, Amperex,
etc) from RF Parts to evaluate in our application. Tired of paying
out the nose for NOS 3-400Z which haven't been produced in ages. We
are beginning to see leakage from grid to cathode for them, just
using an ohmmeter.

73
John
K5PRO