Re: [Amps] Millen dipper

To: "carl seyersdahl" <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>,<Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Millen dipper
From: "Floyd Sense" <fsense@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:24:22 -0400
An interesting question.  I bought a nice one last year, only to find out
that the dial calibration was off by 500 KHz at 10 MHz.  When I asked the
remaining person at Millen about the calibration procedure, you'd think I
was asking for the family jewels.  When I asked a question about calibrating
it myself on one of the eHam forums, I was chastised for not knowing that it
"wasn't a frequency counter" and could not be expected to be accurate.  At
that point, I sold the damned thing to someone who was looking for a "shelf
queen" and bought a Kenwood DM-81.  It's dial was accurate to 50 KHz at 10
MHz.  The Kenwood is superior in all ways to the Millen and I guess that's
to be expected with the difference in technology.  I wonder how accurate the
Millens were when new.

K8AC