Re: [Amps] Outgassing tubes.

To: craxd1@verizon.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Outgassing tubes.
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:10:25 -0400
At 08:10 PM 10/2/2005 -0400, Will Matney wrote:
>Jim,
>
>I should have added that those arcs, even though one might think minor,
>put's a quick surge to any power supply of several amps current similar to
>taking the B+ lead and quickly shorting it to ground and back off. This
>over time can weaken components like rectfiers and filters until one fails.
>
>Best,
>
>Will

I have been on vacation and just got back and saw this thread starting
with"Question".
     OK, you apply HV to a tube and it arcs a couple of times and then it
is OK. Does that mean that you have remove gas from it or gettered the gas
somehow? No!  You may have conditioned the tube. There is a procedure
called conditioning. This is often done in vacuum devices that have high
voltage applied to their internal elements, not just vacuum tubes.  You
start at a lower voltage and raise it until you get an arc. The current is
limited so that you don't cause serious damage to the elements.  The arc
discharge removes sharp pieces on the elements blast away tiny pieces of
stuff on the elements that produce field ionization at lower  voltages. You
continue this until you get to the operating voltage on the elements that
you desire.  I believe there is an EIMAC application note referring to this
in some of the higher power tubes.  Sometimes little bits of stuff in the
tube get where it should not  be or sharp edges are formed during the
manufacturing of the tube.
     I have just gotten back from quite a long drive and ready to call it a
night. I have not read all the email on this subject so if I have repeated
something someone else has said I apologize.

73
Bill wa4lav