Re: [Amps] AC wiring

To: Gudguyham@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AC wiring
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 05:49:12 -0700
On Oct 15, 2005, at 3:46 AM, Gudguyham@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/14/2005 8:10:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> aa4lr@arrl.net writes:
>
> However,  with 110, the I^2R losses in the wiring are  quadrupled.
>

> Amen! Most would think that the losses are only doubled, but in the
> case of
> the Sb-220 the losses are quadrupled because the Sb-220 uses a doubler
> circuit
>  in the HV power supply.

A FWD and a FWB of equal output performance produce virtually the same
recurrent peak-currents in the mains.   The main difference between a
FWB and a FWD is that the doubler needs 2x as much filter-C but only
about half as much secondary insulating paper in the transformer.  This
allows the xfmr builder to use large diameter Cu wire in the secondary.