Re: [Amps] TWE T500M Linear amp

To: "'Steve Thompson'" <g8gsq@ic24.net>,"'GGLL'" <nagato@arnet.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [Amps] TWE T500M Linear amp
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 02:17:56 -0500
When I ran Metrons/TWE amps, I didn't have a 100 amp power supply for them.
A cheap substitute is a deep-cycle marine battery with short leads (#6 or
larger wire, depending on the distance), and a 15 amp or larger fully
tapering charger that will auto-reduce to a trickle when the battery is
fully charged. When transferring the amp to the car, the amp and battery sit
in the trunk with only small leads (#12-14) running from the car battery to
the deep-cycle battery. The draw on peaks for the Metron is around 900 watts
@ 13 volts. As you approach 12-10 meters, the output power will reduce from
500 watts to c. 400 watts. As discussed on an earlier thread, for mobile
operation on the low-bands, you will need a line isolator choke between the
transceiver and the amp input, and c. 20 feet of RG-8 between the amp and
antenna. Roll the excess RG-8 into a choke wound around a piece of 6" PVC
pipe. Securely bond the (-) terminal on the amp to the frame of the vehicle.

(((73)
Phil Clements, K5PC