Re: [Amps] High voltage connectors > 5kV rated working voltage for PSto

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] High voltage connectors > 5kV rated working voltage for PSto RF deck connection _
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:19:10 -0700
A previous poster wrote:

>While finishing my separated PS chassis now the question is which
> > connectors to take for running B+ / B- to the RF deck ...
> > I'd like to use a model which is save up to 10kV, but has at least a
> > rating of 5 kV DC. I know the Huber+Suhner SHV series but these are
> > at the limits with 5 kV DC. Any other suggestions that have the same
> > mechanical quality as the HuSu SHV type?

This doesn't really answer your question, but is something to consider.

I don't use HV connectors at all. My amp is hard-wired directly from
power supply to amplifier. Unless you plan on connecting and
disconnecting a lot, a direct connection without connectors is
cheaper and safer, IMO. I have a ceramic standoff insulator on both
p/s and amp and just run a HV wire between the two. Of course you
must be sure the HV capacitors have fully discharged, but that's true
using a connector, too.

Connectors are always a potential source of trouble and I try to
eliminate them wherever possible.

73, Bill W6WRT