[Amps] SB-220 load capacitor question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 load capacitor question
From: <johna8119-amps@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 18:09:46 -0800 (PST)
I should probably be ashamed to ask this.  I have this SB-220 that I have been
unmodifying, and I
have run into a situation that I am wondering about.

When I tune this rig up, with excitor power anywhere from 5-100 w, I have to
turn the load
capacitor fully clockwise (unmeshed) to maximize power output.  I'm getting
decent power out with
it.  Could this be due to the 50 ohm dummy load I'm working into?  Is it a good
thing to have
"full" loading?

I have another SB-220, and it does the same thing, either into the dummy load
or into an MFJ
antenna tuner.  Somehow I don't remember this being the case on this second
amplifier until it
started on the one I mention above.  I do not recall reading that these
Heathkits are subject to
contageous diseases.

Thanks
John