Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 35, Issue 20

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amps Digest, Vol 35, Issue 20
From: <johna8119-amps@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:54:02 -0800 (PST)
> From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>

> The pi-network is really a transformer.  So, a change in the output
> capacitance could be based
> upon a change in the input characteristics as well as the load.  Is the
> voltage correct?  Are
> both tubes the same color?  Are any of the turns shorted?

The tubes glow equally when the plate amperage is high enough.  No shorts are
evident.  HV is
good.  A previous owner changed the relay and shielded it.  He moved some
circuitry from its
original position to the top of the load capacitor.  (If you have broadband,
check out
http://www.geocities.com/w4kv/sb220 )

> If there is no logical explanation, it could be an illogical one.  If a
> friend comes over and
you
> go out of the room, does it still tune the same?

Since the enclosure is open on the rig, I'm afraid to let anybody in the shack.

>Do you have any confessions you want to share with the group that might cause
>the amplifier to
act in such a manner?

A couple of weeks ago I "tested" the HV with a DVM and fried the DVM and
several components on the
Harbach PC board.  Fortunately I was not a participant in the circuit, but
since the POW, I don't
recall what the position of the load capacitor was prior to the event.

>Have you had this effect on amplifiers at club stations?

They won't let me use the amplifier.

>Have you ever been rejected for a dxpedition, even though you put the money up
>front?

I plead the 5th.

> You can work backwards and play with the amp offline (unplugged and plate
> shorted).  Put a
> resistor equal to the plate impedance from plate to ground, then use a MFJ or
> Autek (or other)
> bridge on the output and see where you get 50 ohms.  Is the plate tuning
> control where it should
> be?

I'm going to move the stuff from the load capacitor first.

> In the end, if you cannot find the results you expect, you need to keep
> asking dumber and dumber
> questions.

I find that quite easy.

R. Measures wrote:

>>> Two possibilities:  The load R is not 50-ohms -- or the bandswitch has
>>> some vapourized contacts due to previous arcing.  This is more likely
>>> to occur to the 15m and 10m contacts.
>>> The load R's ohms can be measured with a DMM.
>>
>> I had previously checked the dummy load with DMM (47.8 ohms)
>
>Close enough
>
>> and with a MFJ 239 SWR meter (50 ohms
>> and 1:1 swr).  There is no change with switching the bandswitch.
>
>To find missing / vaporized contacts, one must visually inspect all of
>the contacts.
>
>> I have polished the contacts
>> with  a bit of grocery bag paper.  No change.

I also checked the switch, front and back, and they appear intact.

I also took the "unmodified" amplifier apart and replaced the PC board with the
Harbach mod.  It
now loads properly with the capacitor dial at about 1:30

Thanks
John
w4kv