Re: [Amps] gs35b on hf problem .

To: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] gs35b on hf problem .
From: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@eon.net.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:44:10 +0800
No, nor have I.

But.....

At our club, we have 4 x Codan 500 Watt hf ssb transmitters which run a
pair of 4cx250 tubes in the pa. We have a box of used pulls for the
transmitters. Each and every one of those tubes was put into one of the
transmitters and fired up. Without exception, we had flashovers on all
tubes occurring as soon as plate voltage was applied. Lucky the protection
is very effective in these transmitters.

We decided to try burning the tubes in for a day each on just heater volts
and air cooling applied.
We did this to all the tubes.

Once that was done, we fired up the transmitters in earnest and tested each
of the tubes again.

Guess what? No flashovers. Not a single one.

I ain't no scientist but I know that by doing a burn in on those used tubes
we solved all our flashover problems. I dunno why and I don't care why. I
just care that it worked.

73 from sunny Perth,
Alek
VK6APK