Re: [Amps] Henry 3kA Choke input Pwr Supply Overvoltage Query

To: w2cqm@juno.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Henry 3kA Choke input Pwr Supply Overvoltage Query
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:13:15 -0800
On Nov 18, 2005, at 8:20 AM, w2cqm@juno.com wrote:

> Thanks fellows for the on target comments  re:  the errant Henry 3KA.
> Removed  the OEM  HV 10Hy choke and temporarily  installed an 8Hy
> swinging choke  I had lying around. That did the trick.

Using an oscilloscope, take a look at the transient DC regulation when
using a swinging choke -- -- and you will find that you were tricked.
The reason that fixed chokes are used in resonant choke filters  is so
that they will stay tuned to 2x the mains frequency with various load
currents and thereby hold the output potential semi-constant.