[Amps] hit a wall on bi-directional couplers

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] hit a wall on bi-directional couplers
From: Dan Sawyer <dansawyer@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:58:48 -0800
All,

I have hit a wall on bidirectional couplers for HF. I have breadboarded
the bi-directional portion of the following attached bi-directional
coupler circuit. It appears in principal to be the same as the circuit
in the arrl antenna handbook.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/manuals/PM10DC.pdf

I did not terminate either coupler output, I simply sampled them for
voltage with a high impedance scope probe.  The net net is there is no
difference between the outputs and they are both high, about 3 db down
from the input. I did not use a 'binocular' transformer but used two
tube types in the same configuration.  I was very careful to wind the
transformers exactly as described in the text.  The feed through is a
piece of copper wire centered in the transformer by an insulator. The RF
output is terminated in 50 Ohms.

I would appreciate pointers, advice, links to primers, or links to
alternatives.  Thanks - Dan kb0qil