Re: [Amps] Rf choke

To: "R.Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Rf choke
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <kgrimm@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:07:10 -0500
R.Measures wrote:

>On Nov 21, 2005, at 12:08 PM, wc6w@juno.com wrote:
>

>>Hi Jan,
>>  The theory behind those "sectioned" chokes is that all the
>>resonances will fall somewhere friendly.  In the real world they tend
>>to behave rather similar to contiguously wound solenoids.
>>

>In my experiences, this was also the case, Marv.  The notion that two
>choke sections can be decoupled by placing them end-to-end instead of
>at right angles is quite laughable.
>
>cheers
>

>>  For some background info on plate parallel feed RF chokes and
>>alternative solutions see:
>>
>>http://wc6w.50webs.com/wc6wamps/index.html?fr62.html
>>
>>73 & Good afternoon,
>>  Marv WC6W
>>

>>-- jan <jan@on6zg.be> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I´m building a HF gs35b amplifier, but i´m having a problem with the rf
>>choke in the High voltage line.
>>On 15meters the choke gets hot.
>>Has anyone got specifications for building a 160m to 10m rf choke? I´ve
>>found several amps with a choke like this inside:
>>http://www.kvindesland.no/yl2qm/images/rfc.gif
>>
>>thanx for any help
>>ON6ZG, Jan

OK, now on behalf of us non-cognoscenti, are you guys saying that the
segmentation of a solonoidal plate choke cannot be wound so as to
avoid resonances at undesired frequencies?

I don't want to waste my time trying to wind a new choke for my amp that
does unhappy things every time I try to use it on 24 MHz if it is a
known fact that
segmentation doesn't work.

Anyone want to guarantee this?  :-)

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr